Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Senile dementia.. All they need is a sprinkle of love, care and patience

"Dah makan, Carol?" I replied, "Dah makan."..

Less than 1 minute, another same question popped out. "Dah makan, Carol?", I replied, "Dah makan.".. 

Within 10 minutes, another question. "Dah makan, Carol?"


Sometimes, you just loose your cool and ignore the question. Or. You might have give the person a high-tone answer.

Someone whom I really love has this illness. This caught me to ponder a little further. Time and time again, I reminded myself, how she answers my questions patiently and gently. Never once, she raised her voice, when I asked her repeatedly, more than 3 times.I still remember that question I asked. "What is that bird, mama?" How can I not be patient towards her, after all the love she has poured into my life.

Dementia left her to be having memory loss, inability to recognise family members, communication problems and being fearful and suspicious sometimes. She forgets how to brush her teeth, wash her hair, eat her lunch ... She was never like that last time. She was a confident woman. A strong iron lady. An intelligent and creative worker despite being illiterate.A kind-hearted soul who is always helpful.

While I am spending time with her, I realised the person whom was once taking care of me since I were a baby, was not getting younger. Her hair slowly turns grayish-white. Wrinkles starting to be more and more evident. Memory is deteriorating. But as I gazed into her eyes, I will never forget that dreamy eyes that transmit serenity and her heart of gold that warms the people around her.

I have personally noticed that many old people are been abandoned in old folks home by their children. Many raise their voices to these senile patients. But all I want to say is that all they need is just a sprinkle of love, care and patience. 


I am learning to be patient to her, to cherish and love her till the end of her days and to make her happy by just spending time together.


No comments:

Post a Comment